Account with William & Reuben Mitchell
[ca. 31 Dec. 1813]
M. Thomas Jefferson
In a/c with W. & R. Mitchell Dr
|May||To Flour over drawn equeal 6¾ bus. Wheat||7/6||$8.43|
|〃||To Extra on||141 Barrels Flour||3/.||70.50|
|Decr||31||To Carriage||44||Bbls||Flour||to Richmond||2/.||14.67|
|〃||To Provisions furnished Boatmen||33.29|
|〃||To 2³³⁄₆₀ Wheat over drawn||1.70|
|〃||To Extra on 1262 Barrels Flour||3/.||63.00|
|Due W. & R. Mitchell||$226.923|
W. & R. Mitchell
MS (ViU: TJP-ER); in the hand of a representative of William & Reuben Mitchell and endorsed by him on verso as “A/c M. Jefferson to W. & R. Mitchell”; endorsed by TJ: “Mitchells Messrs account of wheat & flour of 1813.
TJ obtained the information given in his endorsement above from an undated “Statement of Mr Jeffersons wheat a/c; crop of 1813,” which additionally breaks down each shipment to Richmond into fine and superfine flour and notes that one hundred and fifty barrels of flour had been sent to Richmond and one barrel of superfine flour to Poplar Forest (MS in ViU: TJP-ER; in the hand of a representative of William & Reuben Mitchell and endorsed by him as “Mr Jeffersons Wheat crop 1813”).
On the verso of an undated list of wheat deliveries to William & Reuben Mitchell, TJ noted by way of summary that his “wheat of 1812. 780–45 b.,” the equivalent, he claimed, of 141 barrels flour, had been “delivd spring of 1813” (MS in ViU: TJP-ER; in the hand of a representative of William & Reuben Mitchell, with notation by TJ; endorsed by TJ: “Mitchells”).
1. Below and to the right of this column, TJ recorded the total of the four preceeding lines as “150. Bar.”
2. Below this column in an unidentified hand is the sum “267,” the total number of barrels in the two “To Extra” entries.
3. In the margin to the right of this column an unidentified person broke most of this sum down into “83.29,” the total transportation costs (carriage plus provisions), and “133.50,” the amount due from the two “To Extra” entries.
- boats; transfer goods to and from Richmond search
- flour; from Poplar Forest search
- flour; transported to Richmond search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with W. & R. Mitchell search
- Mitchell, William & Reuben (Lynchburg firm); account with TJ search
- Mitchell, William & Reuben (Lynchburg firm); TJ’s transactions with search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); flour from search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); wheat grown at search
- Richmond, Va.; boats transfer goods to and from search
- Richmond, Va.; flour shipped to search
- wheat; at Poplar Forest search