To James Monroe
Monticello Sep. 23. 13.
Th: Jefferson incloses to Colo Monroe the copy of a letter he proposes to send to mr Champe Carter, if the contents meet his approbation; which he asks the favor of him to signify to him, with the return of the letter. he sets out to mr Madison’s early tomorrow morning, weather permitting, which he does not mention to have any influence on Colo Monroe’s movements. perhaps indeed their meeting at mr Madison’s should rather be avoided, as the newspapers might announce it, as on former occasions, as portending some great conspiracy. he salutes him with affectionate respect.
PoC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: TJ to William Champe Carter, 23 Sept. 1813.
- Carter, William Champe; and Highland–Indian Camp boundary dispute search
- Highland (J. Monroe’s Albemarle Co. estate); boundary dispute search
- Indian Camp (W. Short’s Albemarle Co. estate); boundary dispute search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and Highland–Indian Camp boundary dispute search
- Monroe, James; and Highland–Indian Camp boundary dispute search
- Monroe, James; letters to search
- Montpellier (Montpelier; J. Madison’s Orange Co. estate); TJ visits search
- newspapers; TJ on search