To Rembrandt Peale
Monticello Aug. 11. 13.
I duly recieved by mr Correa your favor of July 13. and with it the peices of agate & Madrepore sent me thro’ Genl Armstrong & to your care. the transaction stated in the letter accompanying them had so entirely escaped my memory, that the name being subscribed in illegible characters, I am not able to ascertain from whom it comes. I am not however the less obliged to one who recollects to do a kind office when I had forgotten the having requested it. I sincerely wish you success in the establishment of your museum. these things kindle a thirst for knolege, and often draw to useful objects those who would otherwise employ themselves frivolously. should any circumstance ever lead you within striking distance of Monticello I should be very happy to recieve you. Accept the assurance of my great esteem & respect.
PoC (photocopy in Vi: Personal Papers Collection); at foot of text: “Mr Rembrandt Peale”; endorsed by TJ.
- agate search
- Armstrong, John; and minerals for TJ search
- Baltimore, Md.; museums in search
- Corrêa da Serra, José; conveys minerals to TJ search
- Duvernois, Claude Antoine Prieur; sends minerals to TJ search
- madrepore search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); invitations to visit search
- museums; in Baltimore search
- museums; TJ on search
- Peale, Rembrandt; Baltimore museum of search
- Peale, Rembrandt; forwards minerals to TJ search
- Peale, Rembrandt; letters to search