To Nicolas G. Dufief
Jan. 9. 13.
I recieved last night your favor of the 4th with the Elzevir Livy, which, having your permission, I now return because I already possess that edition, and it is too small in it’s type for my eyes. I possess also the 4to Delphin edition. but I dislike such cumbersome volumes. having a desire to give Livy a reading at this time, I wished a handy edition and of a type suited to a Septagenary. Maittaire’s is the best for my purpose, being of a good print, in 6. vols 12mo. there may be others perhaps equally suitable. such an edition I will thankfully recieve from you. accept the assurances of my esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Mr Dufief”; endorsed by TJ. For the enclosed book, see note to Dufief to TJ, 4 Jan. 1813.
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; bookseller search
- Dufief, Nicolas Gouin; letters to search
- Livy (Titus Livius); Titi Livii Historiarum Libri search
- Livy (Titus Livius); Titi Livii Patavini Historiarum Libri Qui Extant search
- Maittaire, Michael search
- Titi Livii Historiarum Libri (Livy) search
- Titi Livii Patavini Historiarum Libri Qui Extant (Livy) search