To Charles Clay
Poplar Forest Dec. 14. 12.
I go certainly tomorrow, wind & weather permitting, and both have abated considerably. I promised you some sprout Kale seed, which I now send. I do not remember to have seen Salsafia in your garden, & yet it is one of the best roots for the Winter. some call it the oyster plant because fried in batter it can scarcely be distinguished from a fried oyster. I send you some seed. it is to be sowed and managed as carrots & to be taken up at the same time & put away for winter use.
A supplement to your method of weighing Eng. & Portugal gold.
for French & Spanish gold, weigh & calculate as for English, and then deduct a cent & an half from every Dollar.
To calculate interest on Dollars at 6. per cent
Call them cents & multiply by 6. for a years interest.
halve the cents for a month’s interest.
third that half, & call them mills for a day’s interest. for example
|Y M D|
|required the interest of||246||. D. for||1–1–1.|
|gives||14.76||say||14.||76||for 1. year|
|halve them||123||or||1.||23||for 1 month|
|third that half||41||or||41.||mills for 1 day||Y M D|
|16.||0311||or 16.2 D. 3 Cents 1 mill for||1–1–1|
PoC (DLC); adjacent to signature: “Mr Clay”; endorsed by TJ.
1. Manuscript: “15.031”; at foot of text TJ later added the notation: “Error. should be 16.03” and keyed it to this point with a “※” symbol.
2. Manuscript: “15.”
- Clay, Charles; letters to search
- Clay, Charles; TJ sends gold calculations to search
- Clay, Charles; TJ sends seed to search
- food; kale, sprout search
- food; salsify search
- gold; TJ’s calculations for search
- interest; TJ’s calculations for search
- kale; sprout search
- salsify search
- seeds; sent by TJ search