From David Gelston
New York July 7th 1812.
Your letter of the 2d instant I have received, and this day, I have shipped the machine on board the Schooner Charles, Capt Andrew Bates, bound to Richmond, to the care of Messrs Gibson & Jefferson, to whom I have written—the $5– you enclosed I received; I have not yet been called upon for any expenses, but shall pay them, when demanded—I wish the machine safe to hand, and am very sincerely—your’s—
The vessel will sail immediately
RC (MHi); at foot of text: “Mr Jefferson”; endorsed by TJ as received 15 July 1812 and so recorded in SJL.
- Bates, Andrew; captain of the Charles search
- Charles (ship) search
- Gelston, David; forwards spinning machine to TJ search
- Gelston, David; letters from search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and textile machinery acquired by TJ search
- Herrick, Ebenezer; and Domestic Spinner (spinning machine) search
- spinning machines; TJ orders search