From Charles Blagrove
Land-Office June 23d 1812
I have examined the Record of patents from the years 1772 to 1783 and can find nothing of the one supposed by you to be in the name of John Wayles. neither do I discover among the surveys which were deposited in the late Secretarys Office any paper answering the description of the one in question. By recurring to your letter of the 27th of May I discovered that the error alluded to by you had been committed in the first examination.
RC (ViU: TJP); endorsed by TJ as received 25 June 1812 and so recorded in SJL.
The office of the secretary of the colony issued land patents before the Virginia Land Office was established in 1779.
- Blagrove, Charles; and TJ’s land dispute with S. Scott search
- Blagrove, Charles; letters from search
- Campbell County, Va.; TJ sells Ivy Creek tract in search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; dispute with S. Scott search
- Virginia; Land Office search
- Wayles, John (TJ’s father-in-law); and Campbell Co. land search