To Henry Foxall
Monticello Mar. 16. 12.
The stove arrived safely; I have set it up and find it to answer perfectly. the room is very small where it is placed, and is fully warmed by it in a few minutes. a room of larger size would require the stove to be larger. I certainly like it better than any stove I have ever seen, & not doubting that when it becomes known it will be in great demand, I expect you will find it worth while to make one or two sizes above this. I have a large dome-room of 24.f. diam. which needs a stove, but a large one. I have not yet learned how to prevent it’s smoaking in the first moments of lighting the fire. I have desired Messrs Gibson & Jefferson of Richmond to remit a sum of money to mr Barnes for the paiment of this and two or three other debts there & I have desired mr Barnes to pay you out of it 55.46½ D the amount of the bill sent me. Accept the assurance of my great esteem & respect
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Mr Henry Foxall”; endorsed by TJ.
- Barnes, John; as TJ’s agent search
- Foxall, Henry; and Swedish stove search
- Foxall, Henry; letters to search
- Foxall, Henry; payment from TJ search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and household articles acquired by TJ search
- household articles; stoves search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); dome room at search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); Swedish stove for search
- stoves; Swedish search