To Joseph Dougherty
Monticello Sep. 19. 11.
Your letter of the 4th came to hand on the 8 inst. but it was not till I could get a list of the Senate that I could do any thing in it. mr E. Coles accompanying the President on a visit here has furnished me one, and I have immediately written to those members of the present Senate to whom I felt myself at liberty to apply. with some of the others I am not acquainted, and a recommendation from me to the federalists would be a sufficient condemnation of you. my letters to Genl Smith of Balt. Doctr Leib, mr Giles & mr Brent I have forwarded by this post, because I knew their address. but those to Messrs Varnum, J. Smith of N.Y. Gregg, Condit, Lambert, Worthington, Pope, Anderson, Franklin, Turner & Crawford, not knowing their post offices, I now inclose to you to superscribe the place of their abode, or to retain till you see them as you think best. I sincerely wish they may have the effect you wish for. the thing to be apprehended is that some revolutionary officer or souldier may be a competitor, & rendered formidable by the favor shewn to them. I leave one of the letters open, for your perusal, all of them being the same. seal it before you send it off. I wish you every possible success.
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Mr Joseph Dougherty”; endorsed by TJ. Enclosure: eleven copies of TJ’s Circular to Certain Republican Senators, 19 Sept. 1811.
TJ’s apprehensions were justified, for a former revolutionary officer from Maryland, Mountjoy Bayly, was appointed doorkeeper and sergeant at arms of the United States Senate on 5 Nov. 1811 (Heitman, Continental Army description begins Francis B. Heitman, comp., Historical Register of Officers of the Continental Army during the War of the Revolution, April, 1775, to December, 1783, rev. ed., 1914 description ends , 81; JS description begins Journal of the Senate of the United States description ends , 5:4).
- Anderson, Joseph; as U.S. senator search
- Bayly, Mountjoy; wins Senate doorkeeper election search
- Brent, Richard; as U.S. senator search
- Coles, Edward; visits Monticello search
- Condit, John; as U.S. senator search
- Crawford, William Harris; U.S. senator search
- Dougherty, Joseph; letters to search
- Dougherty, Joseph; seeks Senate doorkeeper appointment search
- Franklin, Jesse; as U.S. senator search
- Giles, William Branch; as U.S. senator search
- Gregg, Andrew; as U.S. senator search
- Lambert, John; as U.S. senator search
- Leib, Michael; as U.S. senator search
- Madison, James; visits Monticello search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); Visitors to; Coles, Edward search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); Visitors to; Madison, Dolley and James search
- Pope, John; as U.S. senator search
- Senate, U.S.; doorkeeper election search
- Smith, John (1752–1816); as U.S. senator search
- Smith, Samuel (of Maryland); as U.S. senator search
- Turner, James; as U.S. senator search
- Varnum, Joseph Bradley; as U.S. senator search
- Worthington, Thomas; as U.S. senator search