To Charles Clay
P.F. Aug. 16. 11.
I thank you for the contents of your basket and was just about writing to you when your boy came. I find I shall not have strength enough to ride as far as your house: but I should be very glad if you could meet me at the Double branches in the road, the day after tomorrow (Sunday) and that you may not have to wait, I will be sure to be there before 11. aclock. I have had some measures made which, in event, puzzle me not a little. you will excuse this trouble which has been encouraged by your own kindness. I will propose to mr Steptoe to meet you here at dinner. I salute you with friendship & respect
RC (Mr. C. A. Mallory, Richmond, 1956; photocopy in ViU: TJP); addressed: “Mr Clay”; endorsed by Clay. Not recorded in SJL.
A 21 July 1811 letter from Clay to TJ, not found, is recorded in SJL as a “recomdn Moorman & Pemberton” received 24 July 1811.
- Clay, Charles; letters from accounted for search
- Clay, Charles; letters to search
- Clay, Charles; TJ arranges to meet search
- Moorman, Mr.; recommended by C. Clay search
- Pemberton, Mr.; recommended by C. Clay search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ visits search
- Steptoe, James; invited to dinner search