From George Jefferson
Richmond 20th June 1811
I inclose an acct of the sales of 547 bbls of your flour, together with your acct current to this day, the last shewing a balance against you of $:2671.⁴⁰⁄₁₀₀.— Deducting this sum from the 5800$ obtained from the bank, (which is partly to be paid off with Harrisons dft, and the balance to be continued) leaves $:3128.⁶⁰⁄₁₀₀ for which you are to draw.—You can likewise if you think proper draw for the probable amount of 54 barrels of flour received within these few days from Lynchburg; which I have not been able to sell, although very anxious to do so, both from a wish to close the sales of the whole together, and from a fear of holding it at this advanced season of the year, lest it should spoil. I suppose however that it has been but lately manufactured, and will therefore be safe for a short time at any rate. At present there is no demand whatever: no one will purchase except at a price greatly under the value—sales of small parcels having been made as low as $:8.¼.
I inclose a note for your signature, for renewal in the bank.—I have filled it up with 3000$ as being a round sum.—if you prefer any other, you will of course make the necessary alteration. you will see from the date, when it will be wanted.
I have bought the blankets, but at the very high price of 15/ each: this was not in consequence of an advance in the price, but of their great size, & very superior quality.—there are no common ones to be had.
RC (MHi); between signature and postscript: “Thomas Jefferson esqr”; endorsed by TJ as received 23 June 1811 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosures not found.
SJL records a missing letter of 17 June 1811 from TJ to Jefferson.
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); TJ’s loan from search
- flour; sale of search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); flour sold for TJ search
- Harrison, Samuel Jordan; buys tobacco from TJ search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters from search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to accounted for search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); sells TJ’s flour search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; loan from Bank of Virginia search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; sells tobacco search
- Richmond, Va.; Bank of Virginia search