Account with Jonathan & Isaac Shoemaker
Messrs Shoemaker in Account with Th: Jefferson
|1811.||Jan.||15.||To balance by settlement of this day||490.58|
|Feb.||By order on Underhill||250.|
|11.||To a quarter’s rent due this day||320.1|
|May||11.||To a quarter’s rent due this day||320.|
|19.||By Bacon’s ord. in favr of Trevilian||82|
|June||11||To a month’s rent which will be due this day – 4. days||92.473|
|June||1.||By balance of account of offal to May 7||873.054|
|8.||By additional furnished||8.705|
|By store account for 2. sacks 1¼ bush. salt||12.|
|By short allowance for Salmon’s ord. of Dec. 15. 09||36|
|By facing a pair of Burr millstones||4.|
|By cambric Etc to McKenny||27|
|Balance due Th: Jefferson||62.308|
June 8. 1811.
This is a settlement of all accounts subsisting between us to this day whereon the balance of sixty two Dollars 30. cents is acknoleged due to Th: Jefferson
|June||10.||By a horse||40.|
|11.||By shipstuff Etc||22.30|
MS (MHi); in TJ’s hand, signed by TJ and Shoemaker; evidently composed 1 June, revised and agreed to on 8 June, and further amended 11 June 1811; with TJ’s notation on verso: “Shoemaker Jonathan & Isaac. final settlement of June 1811.”
salmon’s: James Sammons. burr stone is a siliceous rock found in France and North America that is used for millstones (OED description begins James A. H. Murray, J. A. Simpson, E. S. C. Weiner, and others, eds., The Oxford English Dictionary, 2d ed., 1989, 20 vols. description ends ).
1. TJ canceled an entry in the next row reading “Mar. 22. by my order in favr K. Catlett 50. bush. bran,” with “5” canceled in the credit column.
2. Entry interlined.
3. Number reworked from what appears to be “106.57.”
4. Number reworked from what appears to be “745.70.”
5. Entry interlined.
6. Entry interlined.
7. Entry interlined.
8. Number reworked from what appears to be “200.85.”
9. Both numbers in this row interlined in place of “1237.25.”
- Bacon, Edmund; Monticello overseer search
- cambric search
- Catlett, Kemp; TJ sells bran to search
- flour; J. & I. Shoemaker sell search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with Shoemakers search
- McKinney, James; mentioned search
- mills; stones search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); Overseers at; plantation accounts of search
- overseers; plantation accounts of search
- Sammons, James; paid for masonry work search
- Shoemaker, Isaac; TJ’s account with search
- Shoemaker, Jonathan; TJ’s account with search
- textiles; cambric search
- Trevilian, Mr. search
- Underhill, William search
- wheat; ground at Shadwell Mill search