From James Monroe
Richmond Jany 21. 1811
I have the pleasure to return you your correspondence with the directors of the Rivanna company which I lately recd from you. I had submitted it to the perusal of a few friends only, in confidence, and had determin’d for the present, at least, not to publish it, from a fear that the publication might lead to some1 unpleasant discussion.
you will have seen by the news papers that, I have been plac’d in a situation of which I had no anticipation when I left home,2 nor indeed desire. I was induc’d to accede to it only, by the manifestation of a general sentiment among the republicans, that I should do so, and the hope that it may be useful in uniting3 the party more closely together for general purposes,4 and more especially for the support of the cause. I am aware that my private affairs will suffer by it, as the salary is insufficient, and I shall not be able to pay due attention to those at home. It is my intention to return immediately after the rising of the assembly, when I shall have the pleasure to see you. In the mean time I beg you to command me in all things in which I may be useful, being with great respect5 sincerely your friend & servant
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 23 Jan. 1811 and so recorded in SJL. Dft (DLC: Monroe Papers); unsigned; endorsed by Monroe.
1. Preceding six words interlined in Dft in place of “it might lay the foundation of an.”
2. Preceding two words interlined in Dft in place of “came here.”
3. Word interlined in Dft in place of “drawing.”
4. Preceding three words omitted in Dft, in which remainder of sentence is interlined in place of “My own opinion is that our affairs are far from being in a settled state.”
5. Preceding three words interlined in Dft.
- Monroe, James; and Rivanna Company search
- Monroe, James; as governor of Va. search
- Monroe, James; letters from search
- Republican party; in Richmond search
- Republican party; unity within search
- Richmond, Va.; Republicans in search
- Rivanna Company; directors of search
- Virginia; General Assembly search
- Virginia; Republicans in search