To John Harvie
Monticello May 5. 10.
Within a few days after the signature of our agreement, I prepared, according to the best form I could find in the books, a deed of release & quitclaim to all title to the lands which were the subject of that agreement, and executed it before three witnesses. the first day of the ensuing court threatening rain, I did not go, but attended the morning of the next, and acknoleged it for recording. it is now therefore in the clerk’s office, subject to your order. I have now therefore executed on my part what I wished to do before recieving the instrument of agreement which you expressed a desire1 of leaving with me at the time of it’s execution.
As Richmond is the center of my money operations, if it is agreeable to you, it would be more convenient to me to recieve a general order2 on mr Taylor for the sum to which I am entitled, as the instalments become due, either naming each by it’s specific amount, or by it’s proportion of the whole, and making each sum paiable on the day it’s respective instalment shall become due, or in such other just form as shall be more agreeable to you. I salute you with esteem & respect.
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “John Harvie esq.”; endorsed by TJ.
On 15 May 1810 TJ received, as a first installment, an order from Harvie on John Rogers for $350, payable 1 July 1810, “for my release of right in the lands in dispute between us” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1257).
1. TJ here canceled “I should.”
2. Reworked from “an order.”
- Harvie, John (1783–1838); letters to search
- Harvie, John (1783–1838); TJ’s dispute with search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; dispute with J. Harvie search
- Richmond, Va.; center of TJ’s financial operations search
- Rogers, John (of Albemarle Co.); and TJ’s dispute with J. Harvie search
- Southwest Mountain tract (Albemarle Co.); dispute over ownership search
- Taylor, Thomas; purchases Belmont estate search