To Lydia R. Bailey
Monticello Apr. 18. 10.
I have recieved the favor of your letter of Mar. 22. in which I think there must be some mistake in ascribing to me a subscription for ten copies of mr Freneau’s poems. certainly if I ever had subscribed for that number from any one, from principles of great esteem, it was as likely to be him as any one, for whom I have a very high esteem, of which I hope he can never entertain a doubt. but as I never did, to my recollection subscribe for more than two copies of any work, I conclude there must be an error in this instance. I must pray you therefore to re-examine your subscription papers and if you find I have annexed that number to my subscription, be so good as to favor me with another line of information & I shall fulfill the engagement. in the mean time accept the assurances of my respect
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Mrs Lydia R. Bailey”; endorsed by TJ.
- Bailey, Lydia R.; and P. Freneau’s poems search
- Bailey, Lydia R.; letters to search
- Freneau, Philip; Poems Written and Published during the American Revolutionary War search
- Freneau, Philip; TJ on search
- Poems Written and Published during the American Revolutionary War (Freneau); TJ’s subscription to search
- poetry; TJ on search
- subscriptions, for publications; poetry search
- women; letters to; L. R. Bailey search