From John W. Campbell
Petersburg Sep 19th 1809
I feel sensibly my obligations for your attention to my letter. From looking over the list of your official Papers & other Writings I am induced to believe that I could Select what would amount to an Octavo Volume which I would be happy to have the honour of publishing.
The “Reports,” While Secretary of State
Messages to Congress &
These or such of them as you might select, I would publish without the fear of being unrewarded for my trouble.
I have lately published in conjunction with Hopkins & Earle, of Philadelphia, “Gillies’s History of the World, from the Riegn of Alexander, to that of Augustus,” which I would be willing to offer as a sample of the accuracy of my publications.
I submit the proposal to your goodness & Wisdom, and solicit with diffidence & respect an Answer by mail.
J. W. Campbell
RC (DLC); dateline adjacent to signature; endorsed by TJ as received 30 Sept. 1809 and so recorded in SJL.
- A Summary View of the Rights of British America (Thomas Jefferson) search
- Campbell, John Wilson; letters from search
- Campbell, John Wilson; proposes to publish TJ’s public papers search
- Gillies, John; The History of the World, from the reign of Alexander to that of Augustus search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; publication of papers search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; A Summary View of the Rights of British America search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; messages to Congress search
- The History of the World, from the reign of Alexander to that of Augustus (J. Gillies) search