From James Leitch
Charlottesville Mar. 19th 1809
I should not at this time made Application but have been so much disappointed lately by Mr Bacon in the delivery of nails that I expected he did not find himself Obliged to let me have them. Should you think proper I am willing to receive the Ballance in nails if delivered in any short time; Or for any future dealings you may have as far as I can dispose of them
RC (MHi); endorsed by TJ as received 21 Mar. 1809 and so recorded in SJL.
James Leitch (d. 1826), a Charlottesville merchant, dealt extensively with TJ, who died owing him $2,807.40. Leitch was an original donor for the founding of Central College (now the University of Virginia) (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1253n, 1291; Malone, Jefferson description begins Dumas Malone, Jefferson and his Time, 1948–81, 6 vols. description ends , 6:511; Leitch, Charlottesville store daybook, 1820–23, ViU; Central College Donors and Founders to the University of Virginia Commissioners, [before 27 July 1818], Vi: Executive Papers; Albemarle County Court Order Book, 4 Dec. 1826, 1 Jan. 1827).
On 17 Apr. 1809 TJ settled his account with James Dinsmore and acknowledged a debt to him of $618.40. At some point Dinsmore assigned the note to Leitch. The account and memorandum, not found, evidently related to this transaction. TJ paid the note in 1813 (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1245, 1291).
- Bacon, Edmund; delivers nails search
- Central College; donors to search
- Dinsmore, James; accounts with TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with J. Dinsmore search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with S. & J. Leitch search
- Leitch, James; account with TJ search
- Leitch, James; identified search
- Leitch, James; letters from search
- Leitch, James; trades nails for goods search
- nails; supplied to J. Leitch search