From the District of Columbia Commissioners
Commissioners’ Office 1st June 1802
This being the expiring hour of Office, we leave the Books, plans, papers, Instruments and other articles belonging to the Commissioners’ Office in the custody of Mr. Munroe, our Clerk, to be delivered to the Superintendant, when appointed by the President; except the books and Vouchers requisite to compleat the Accounts in comformity to the Act of Congress; which Accounts have been commenced and progressed in as far as our time would allow.—
We are, Sir, with Sentiments of the highest respect Yr mo. Obt. Servts
Mr. Dalton’s indisposition has prevented his attendance for a few days.—
RC (DLC); in Thomas Munroe’s hand, signed by Thornton and White; at foot of text: “President of the U.S.”; endorsed by TJ as received 1 June and so recorded in SJL. FC (Lb in DNA: RG 42, DCLB).
A 1 May 1802 ACT OF CONGRESS replaced the board of commissioners in the city of Washington with a single superintendent, to be appointed by the president. The commissioners’ offices were to cease on 1 June and all city records were to be delivered to the superintendent. The act also directed the commissioners to settle their accounts with the Treasury Department and pay any remaining balance against them to the superintendent (U.S. Statutes at Large description begins Richard Peters, ed., The Public Statutes at Large of the United States … 1789 to March 3, 1845, Boston, 1855–56, 8 vols. description ends , 2:175–8).