summary of funding operation executed by Adams and Jefferson in Amsterdam, March 1788
|1788.||Fizeaux & co. their capital & 3. months interest||51,637.10|
|Virginia, an advance from their fund to be replaced||29,765|
|Grand, advances to be replaced||1||35,600|
|Gateau, balance due him for a medal about||2,000||900|
|Mr. Short2 arrears of salary due to him about||5,000|
|Mr. Ast (late Secy. To the Consulate) do.||3,000||3,600|
|Mr. Dumas, do.||12,500|
|Foreign officers, 3 years arrears of interest||136,960-14–6||61,700|
|Captives at Algiers3||say about||60,000|
|legations4 from April to December, 9 months||36,000|
|1789.||legations for the whole year @ 4000 florins a month||48,000|
|lottery on same loan, paiable at same time||70,000|
|June interest (supposing the loan of 1787. filled)||538,540.|
|1790.||legations for the whole year||48,000|
|June interest (supposing the loan of 1788 half filled in 1789)|
|Cr. 1788. Mar. 14.||by cash in hands of the bankers this day||79,268.2.8|
|by nett proceeds of 590. bonds of 1787. remaining @ 920ƒ each.||542,800|
|by do. of 1000 bonds of the loan now proposed @ 920 each||1,542,068.2.8|
MS (DNA: PCC, No. 87, ii). PrC (DLC). Dft (DLC). Another copy was sent to the Commissioners of the Treasury in TJ’s letter of 29 Mch. 1788. The more important variations between MS, Dft, and Tr sent to the Commissioners are noted below.
1. These two items are bracketed in Dft and “36,000” written in margin.
2. In Dft “5,943.4” is written in margin beside this item.
3. Instead of the words, “Captives at Algiers,” Dft reads: “a particular purpose committed by Congress to Th:J.” This would seem to indicate that the Dft was a working copy which TJ employed in the negotiations with the Amsterdam bankers and that he did not wish to specify the object embraced by this item. Tr sent to Commissioners reads: “redemption of captives.” See note to Montgomery to TJ, 15 Oct. 1787.
4. Tr sent to Commissioners reads: “legations and little expenses from Apr. to Dec. about 4000 florins a month.”
5. Dft and Tr to Commissioners read: “1947.7.4.”
6. Following this point, Tr to Commissioners reads: “Errors which were not noted at the time of making this estimate, and which are to be corrected. 1. The commission of the bankers on their paiments is not charged. 2. The articles stated in livres are extended in florins banco, whereas the loans being in florins courant, these should have been also.”