Report of the Committee of the Corporation
and the Military Committee to the
Common Council of the
City of New York1
[New York, December 31, 1798]
The adjoining account2 shews the expenditures & Nearly all the responsibilities of the Fortifying Committee. In addition to the fifty thousand Dollars already advanced by the Corporation, Ten thousand Dollars more is requisite to pay off the pressing demands for unsettled accounts; they therefore solicit the Corporation to advance them this further Sum, not doubting but the Legislature will in the present Session make provision for reimbursing the Sums.3 They further observe that they have only compleated the objects, which it was originally calculated would not exceed the fifty thousand Dollars.
Jno. B. Coles
DS, Municipal Archives and Records Center, New York City.
1. For background to this document, see the introductory note to H to James McHenry, June 1, 1798.
The Committee of the Corporation for the defense of New York City consisted of John B. Coles, Gabriel Furman, and John Bogert. See the introductory note to H to McHenry, June 1, 1798. The Military Committee consisted of H, Ebenezer Stevens, and Aaron Burr. See “Call for a Meeting,” June 4, 1798, note 2.
2. D, Municipal Archives and Records Center, New York City. This account is entitled “An Account of Expenditures under the directions of the Committee of the Corporation and the Military Committee. For building Four Batteries, Mounting Artillery and providing Military Stores for them. For building Arsenals, And for Surveying the Harbour of New York. since 29th June 1798.” The account shows total expenditures of $57,242.65.
3. On December 31, 1798, the Common Council also “Resolved that Aldn Gabriel Furman be authorized on behalf of this Board to draw from the Bank of New York such further Sums as may be necessary for the above purpose not exceedg 10,000 Dollars” (Minutes of the Common Council description begins Minutes of the Common Council of the City of New York, 1784–1831 (New York, 1917). description ends , II, 491).