23. Rid with him to his Mill, and to Mr. Carters New Mills at the head of Nomony. Returnd to Dinr.
John Augustine Washington’s mill stood on a branch of the Nomini River, about six miles upstream from Bushfield and about half a mile east of Robert Carter’s house, Nomini Hall (FITHIAN description begins Hunter Dickinson Farish, ed. Journal & Letters of Philip Vickers Fithian, 1773–1774: A Plantation Tutor of the Old Dominion. Williamsburg, Va., 1943. description ends , 109). It was during this month that Carter returned from Williamsburg with his family to resume living at Nomini Hall. He had decided recently to expand his flour-manufacturing facilities, and a short distance west of his house, where another branch of the Nomini flowed, he was apparently having a “Double Mill”—that is, a mill with two waterwheels—built or rebuilt along with a two-oven bakery (Va. Gaz., R, 19 Nov. 1772; EATON description begins David W. Eaton. Historical Atlas of Westmoreland County, Virginia Patents: Showing how Lands were Patented from the Crown & Proprietors of the Northern Neck of Virginia . . .. Richmond, 1942. description ends , 55; MORTON  description begins Louis Morton. Robert Carter of Nomini Hall: A Virginia Tobacco Planter of the Eighteenth Century. Williamsburg, Va., 1941. description ends , 178–80).