3. Dined at Barry’s (on Shanondoah) and reached Greenway Court in the Afternoon where we stayd all Night.
Berry’s ferry was on the Shenandoah River about eight miles east of Greenway Court. Joseph Berry had moved into this area about 1759, and by April 1767 he had taken over the ferry and a nearby ordinary from Joseph Combs. He continued to operate both until at least 1795. The Joshua Fry and Peter Jefferson map of 1755 and the Thomas Jefferson map of 1786 refer to the ferry as Ashby’s ferry, but the Ashby family apparently was never connected with it (BERRY’S FERRY description begins “Berry’s Ferry, And Old Roads Leading To That Ferry.” Proceedings of the Clarke County Historical Association 6 (1946): 8–13. description ends , 11–12).