To Joseph Darmsdatt
Monticello May 7. 17.
The advance of the season having reminded me that the supposed arrival of fresh herrings made it time to ask for the annual supply, a doubt arose in my mind whether I had paid you for the last, and proceeding to examine my papers, I find I have not. I cannot account for this lapse of attention, unless it be (as I find no note of the amount from you) that I have waited to recieve that until it escaped my memory altogether. still uninformed of it I must ask the favor of you to call on mr Gibson for it, whatever it may be, and adding to it the amount of what I now write for, he will be so good as to pay both on presenting this letter.
The supply now to be asked for is of 6. barrels of herrings & 1. of shad to be sent to Milton by Johnson’s boat who will call for it in about ten days, and 6. barrels of herrings to be sent to Lynchburg to the address of mr Archibald Robertson, who will pay the freight. if on enquiry for the Lynchburg boats Dr Cabell’s should happen to be there, they would be preferred, if not, then by such as you shall think best. I salute you with great esteem and respect.
PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; at foot of text: “Mr Joseph Darmsdat”; endorsed by TJ.
In his records for the previous day, TJ indicated that he “Wrote to Joseph Darmsdat for 12. bar. herrings & 1. of shad and desired him to call on Mr. Gibson for the amount of these & of the last year’s like supply, not paid for” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1333).
- boats; transfer goods to and from Richmond search
- Cabell, George; boats of search
- Darmsdatt, Joseph; and fish for TJ search
- Darmsdatt, Joseph; letters to search
- Darmsdatt, Joseph; TJ pays search
- fish; herring search
- fish; shad search
- fish; TJ purchases search
- food; fish search
- Gibson, Patrick; payments made for TJ search
- herring; TJ orders search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; payments to J. Darmsdatt search
- Johnson, William (boatman); transports goods from Richmond search
- Lynchburg, Va.; fish shipped to search
- Milton, Va.; TJ orders fish shipped to search
- Robertson, Archibald; and payments for TJ search
- shad; TJ purchases search