To Josiah Meigs
Monticello April 7. 16.
I have referred asking the favor of you to return my thanks to Dr Drake for the copy of his account of the state of Ohio which he has been so kind as to send me until I could ha[ve] time to peruse it. I have done this with great pleasure and may now express my gratification on this able additio[n] to the knolege we possess of our different states; and I may say with truth that were all of them as well delineated as that which is the subject of this volume, we should be mor[e] accurately and scientifically known to the rest of the world[.] with my thanks for this mark of attention be pleased to accept the assurance of my great esteem & respect.
PoC (DLC); several line endings cut off due to polygraph malfunction; at foot of text: “Josiah Meigs esq.”; endorsed by TJ.
- Drake, Daniel; Natural and Statistical View, or Picture of Cincinnati and the Miami Country search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives works search
- Meigs, Josiah; forwards book to TJ search
- Meigs, Josiah; letters to search
- Natural and Statistical View, or Picture of Cincinnati and the Miami Country (D. Drake) search
- Ohio; books on search