From James Barbour
Washn March–16th 16—
Presuming that you take no slight interest in the ensuing Presidential election, and that it would be agreeable to you to learn, on whom that distinguished appointment is likely to devolve, I have seized the earliest moment to communicate to you the result of a meeting of the Republicans, this moment adjourned—The ballot was as follows Monroe—65. Crawford—54—For V. P—Tompkins 85—Snyder 30—The utmost harmony and concord prevailed in our deliberations and the minority declared their cheerful acquiescence in the decision and that they would give it their undivided Support.
RC (DLC); endorsed by TJ as received 25 Mar. 1816 and so recorded in SJL.
The results of the 16 Mar. 1816 Republican congressional ballot for the nomination of presidential and vice-presidential candidates appeared in the Washington Daily National Intelligencer, 18 Mar. 1816.
- Barbour, James; letters from search
- Barbour, James; on Republican presidential nominations search
- Crawford, William Harris; and Republican presidential nomination search
- Monroe, James; as presidential candidate search
- National Intelligencer (Washington newspaper); prints political results search
- politics; elections search
- Republican party; presidential slate of search
- Republican party; unity within search
- Snyder, Simon; potential Republican vice-presidential nominee search
- Tompkins, Daniel D.; as Republican vice-presidential candidate search
- United States; presidential elections in search