To Chapman Johnson
Monticello Nov. 7. 13.
I was unwell during the last session of our district court, or I should have seen you there and delivered to you the inclosed for your kind assistance in the case of Michie’s Certiorari on the proceedings of forcible entry; and I was not without a hope that your business might have given you leisure to take a dinner or an evening with us which will always give me pleasure.
I had a conversation with mr Minor, secretary of the Rivanna company a few days ago, in which he told me the company was unanimously of consent that the bill which was before the legislature at the last session should pass verbatim as amended by the Senate. one of the company [mr Divers] had before told me the same, and that the opposition of Colo Branham one of their company, and of our members, was against their intention. it proceeded from timidity and sheer ignorance in him. I mentioned to mr Minor that the use of the words ‘on vessels’ in the amendment of the Senate instead of ‘only on articles’ might subject empty vessels to toll. he assured me it was not their1 understanding that2 vessels, should pay, but only the articles they carried, and they wished it to be so expressed. the change does not concern me, and I mention it only for the good of those who will be passing the locks.
PoC (MHi); brackets in original; at foot of text: “Chapman Johnson esq.”; endorsed by TJ.
TJ enclosed $20 for Johnson’s kind assistance in opposing the recently thwarted certiorari motion of David Michie (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1295).
1. TJ here canceled “intention.”
2. TJ here canceled “empty.”
- Bramham, Nimrod; and Rivanna Company search
- Divers, George; and Rivanna Company search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and Rivanna Company search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; dispute with D. Michie search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Health; illness of search
- Jefferson v. Michie; TJ pays counsel search
- Johnson, Chapman; and Jefferson v. Michie search
- Johnson, Chapman; and Rivanna Company search
- Johnson, Chapman; letters to search
- Minor, Peter; and Rivanna Company search
- Monticello (TJ’s estate); invitations to visit search
- Rivanna Company; bill regarding search
- Virginia; General Assembly search
- Virginia; Senate search