To Nathaniel H. Hooe
Monticello Nov. 3.1 11.
I have this day desired messrs Gibson & Jefferson to remit to the bank of Fredericksburg subject to your order 131.D. for the hire of Tom & Edmund the last year, to wit, 74.D. for Tom, and 57.D. for Edmund. his death taking place on the 18th of Oct. from Dec. 25. to that time, @ 70.D. a year comes to 57.D. the other matters which are the subject of your last letter, may be arranged when you come into our neighborhood the next month. we hope you will make this your head quarters. Accept the assurance of my esteem & respect.
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Nathanl H. Hooe esq.”; endorsed by TJ.
SJL records the letter from TJ to George Jefferson of this day, not found, by which he “Desired G. Jefferson to remit to Nathl. H. Hooe 131.D.” (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1270).
1. Number reworked from “1” or “2.”
- Bank of Fredericksburg search
- Edmund (M. Daingerfield’s slave); TJ hires search
- Gibson & Jefferson (Richmond firm); and slave rental by TJ search
- Hooe, Nathaniel Harris; letters to search
- Hooe, Nathaniel Harris; TJ hires slaves from search
- Jefferson, George (TJ’s cousin); letters to accounted for search
- slaves; hired by TJ search
- Tom (N. H. Hooe’s slave) search