From Dominick Barthe
Philadelphia March 8th 1811.
I Have the Honour of forwarding to You per Mail, a Package intrusted to my care at St Petersburg by Mr Levett Harris. I had flattered myself with the prospect of getting here early in november last, but the Brig on board of which I was Supercargo having been detained by the British in coming out of the Sound and Sent to London; my return home has been delayed considerably, although vessel & cargo were restored without trial.
I have the Honour to be Respectfully,
|No 281 Market Street|
RC (MHi); dateline at foot of text, with “His Excellency Thomas Jefferson Esquire” above it; endorsed by TJ as received 13 Mar. 1811 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosures: (1) Jean Potocki to TJ, 19 Aug. 1810. (2) Levett Harris to TJ, 25 Sept. 1810.
Dominick Barthe (d. 1818), merchant and supercargo, came to Philadelphia in April 1807 on the brig Lydia from Bordeaux (DNA: RG 36, PLVP; Bashkina, United States and Russia description begins Nina N. Bashkina and others, eds., The United States and Russia: The Beginning of Relations, 1765–1815, 1980 description ends , 701, 718; Barthe’s will, 16 Dec. 1816, proved 5 Oct. 1818, Philadelphia Co. Wills, 6:606).
- Barthe, Dominick; forwards J. Potocki book search
- Barthe, Dominick; identified search
- Barthe, Dominick; letters from search
- Harris, Levett; and J. Potocki search
- Lydia (brig) search
- Potocki, Jean; Principes de Chronologie, pour les Temps Antérieurs aux Olympiades search
- Principes de Chronologie, pour les Temps Antérieurs aux Olympiades (J. Potocki) search
- Saint Petersburg; conveyance to and from search