To John Barnes
Monticello Sep. 17. 10.
On my return from Bedford lately I found here your two favors of Aug. 22. & 31. I thought I had the form of an order on the bank of Pensylva for Kosciusko’s dividends, such as I used to sign for you; but on searching my papers I do not find it. I have endeavored therefore to make out an order for the last half year’s dividends which I am in hopes may be substantially sufficient, tho’ not so formal. I now inclose it, and if not sufficient, be so good as to send me one, and I will sign & send it by return of post. I recieved at the same time a letter from mr Short informing me of his arrival at N.Y. he will of course have recieved from mr Taylor notice of the business you were so kind as to transact for him. I lament the losses sustained by our commerce; but our merchants have to thank themselves for it. they are the consequences of their defeating a measure which would have saved them. I observe a vast crush in England, the consequences of their defiance also of the moral laws. accept my wishes for your speedy recovery from the late injury which I have learnt with great regret and the assurances of my affectionate esteem & respect
PoC (DLC); at foot of text: “Mr John Barnes.” Enclosure: Order on the Cashier of the Bank of Pennsylvania, Monticello, 17 Sept. 1810: “Be pleased to have paiment made to John Barnes or order of all dividends which became due on the 1st day of July last for the shares of stock held by Genl Thaddeus Kosciuzko in the bank of Pensylvania, for which this shall be your sufficient Voucher” (MS on deposit ViU: TJP, in TJ’s hand and signed by him as “Attorney for Genl. Thaddeus Kosciuzko,” below signature: “The Cashier of the bank of Pensylvania,” with Barnes’s subjoined signature and notation: “Pay 320 Drs”; PoC in CSmH: JF, lacking Barnes’s endorsement).
Barnes’s two favors of 22 Aug. and 31 Aug. 1810, not found, are both recorded in SJL as received from Georgetown on 10 Sept. 1810.
- Bank of Pennsylvania; stock owned by T. Kosciuszko search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; and W. Short’s certificates search
- Barnes, John; letters from accounted for search
- Barnes, John; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; account with T. Kosciuszko search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Pennsylvania stock of search
- Short, William; returns to U.S. search
- Short, William; sends certificates to TJ search