Nantes 12th 7ber 1810—
I take the liberty to send you inclosed a letter for my relation and friend, Mr P. Derieux, living in monroe County State of Virginia, these Some years past, and being ignorant if he has not been obliged to go and live elsewhere; according to his direction, I apply to you, to request of you to be So good as to forward it to him. he has been almost these two years without hearing of his family on account of the political events—therefore Shall render to both of us an important Service—he may be intittled to your bounties on account of his former acquaintance and neighbourhood with the honorable Mr Jefferson Late president—
RC (MHi); dateline at foot of text; addressed: “to the Honorable Mr Jefferson, Late presidt of United States Washington”; franked and postmarked; endorsed by TJ as received 30 Dec. 1810 and so recorded in SJL. Enclosure not found.
Plumard may have been a cousin of Peter derieux, whose patrilineal relations of the family of Plumard de Rieux, of Nantes, had assisted him financially as early as the 1780s. Derieux’s relative Marie Françoise Plumard de Bellanger sent 500 louis and an uncle added 15,000 livres, amounts exhausted by 1795. TJ acted as agent in these transactions, having befriended Derieux as the husband of Philip Mazzei’s stepdaughter and a sometime near neighbor in Albemarle County and Charlottesville (Edwin R. Lancaster, Our French Ancestors and How They Came to Virginia , 17–8, 26–7; Mazzei, Writings description begins Margherita Marchione and others, eds., Philip Mazzei: Selected Writings and Correspondence, 1983, 3 vols. description ends , 3:158; PTJ description begins Julian P. Boyd, Charles T. Cullen, John Catanzariti, Barbara B. Oberg, and others, eds., The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, 1950– , 32 vols. description ends , 12:124–5, 28:58–60, 370; Derieux to TJ, 19 May 1805 [DLC]).
- Derieux, Maria Margherita Martin (Peter Derieux’s wife); financial situation of search
- Derieux, Maria Margherita Martin (Peter Derieux’s wife); stepdaughter of P. Mazzei search
- Derieux, Peter (Justin Pierre Plumard); financial situation of search
- Derieux, Peter (Justin Pierre Plumard); TJ forwards letter to search
- Mazzei, Philip; family of search
- Plumard, M.; and P. Derieux search
- Plumard, M.; identified search
- Plumard, M.; letters from search
- Plumard de Bellanger, Marie Françoise; assists P. Derieux search