The Burgh of St. Andrews: Freedom of the Burgh6
DS: American Philosophical Society; two copies: Yale University Library7
[October 2, 1759]
Apud Civitatem Sancti Andreae Secunda die mensis Octobris anno partus Salutiferi Millesimo Septingentesimo quinquagesimo nono.8
Quo Die Magistratuum illustris ordo et Honorandus Senatorum Coetus Inclitae Civitatis Sancti Andreae Indebiti amoris et affectus tesseram Erga virum valde generosum Benjaminum Franklin Armigerum LLD. de Philadelphia Immunitatibus praefatae Civitatis Societatis etiam ac Fraternitatis Aedilitiae privilegiis Solenni Interveniente Sacramenti de omnibus a Cive necessario exigendis ac praestandis Dona[ve]runt possessione Inaugurali ab Honorabilibus viris Jacobo Lumsdaine de Rennyhill Armigero, Praeposito,9 Roberto Key Aedili, Jacobo Robertson, Laurentio Gib Mr. Joanne Morison et Davide Rymer Praetoribus Concessa ex fori Judicialis Sancti Andreae Codicibus Extractum per
Patr[icu]m Wilson Cl[ericu]m
Admissio / Benjamini Franklin / Armigeri / 1759
Endorsed: St. Andrews 2d Oct. 1759
6. For the award of an honorary degree to BF by the University of St. Andrews, Feb. 12, 1759, see above, pp. 277–80.
7. In the Stiles Papers and College Records, respectively.
8. This record may be somewhat freely translated as follows: “The burgh of St. Andrews, on the 2d day of October in the 1759th year of the Redemption. On which day the distinguished company of magistrates and the honorable body of the Senate, in the gratitude of love and affection, have given to a very eminent man, Benjamin Franklin Esquire of Philadelphia, admission to the immunities of the aforementioned company of the burg, as well as to the privileges of the communal brotherhood, entering into the customary obligation required by the civil authority of all who are singled out and honored, installation in this possession being granted by the honorable persons: [names here follow]. Extracted from the records of the judicial bench by Patrick Wilson Clerk.”
9. James Lumsdaine of Rennyhill was provost of the burgh of St. Andrews, 1753–60. C. J. Lyon, History of St. Andrews, Episcopal, Monastic, Academic, and Civil (Edinburgh, 1893), II, 415. Robert Key was dean of guild and the next four named were bailies. Morison was probably a St. Andrews graduate (M.A., 1722), hence the “Mr.” before his name. The designation “Clm” after the name of Patrick Wilson at the end was not strictly accurate but was often used by town clerks and other similar persons. Wilson’s name is entered somewhat more formally in the Borrowing Register of the university as “scriba Andreapolitanus.” The identifying information has been kindly supplied by R. G. Cant, Keeper of the Muniments at the University of St. Andrews.