Account with Fielding Lewis
[20 April 1773]
A List of Sundrie Sums expected to be recd, & pd, by Colo. F. Lewis1
|From Messrs Buckners||£616.13.0|
|Trustees of Colo. B: Moore or Exrs of Colo. Baylor||£401.11.0|
|Mr Armisteads Estate||108. 8.9|
|Mr Montgomerie||32. 1.7|
|Colo. Warnr Lewis||40.|
|Mr Norton for Mr Thruston||12. 1.9|
|Mr John Fry||31. 0.4|
|Mr Hill suppose2||100.|
Note—The Sum paid by Mr Montgomerie, be it little, or much, will go in discharge of my Claim upon Armisteads Estate and of course lessen the above Balle of £108.8.9 Sterlg.
|To be paid to Mr Ths Hodge||£ 35. 0.0|
|Mr Robt Washington’s ordr||60.|
|Captn Page if demd||£14.14.0|
|To Wm Crawfords order in favr of Jno. Hite I beleive to Ths Lawson||50.3|
Note, If Colo. Lewis’s Collections would not pay the within Sums of £35, 60 & £50 Cury & £14.14 Sterg, & enable him to remit me, over and above the further sum of £300 he is in that case to raise the Difficiency by a Sale of Bills for wch purpose three Sets were sent to wit one of £100—one of £80—& one of £60 Sterlg all drawn upon Robt Cary Esqr. & Co. at 60 days sight the 20th of Apl 1773.
AD, NN: Myers Collection; AD, NjMoHP. The copy of the document printed here is probably GW’s retained copy. It contains a note by Jared Sparks attesting to GW’s handwriting. The copy at NjMoHP varies somewhat in wording and is missing the last part of the memorandum.
2. In his May Cash Accounts GW records receiving from James Hill £132.15.4.
3. The information following this is included in the NjMoHP copy.
4. David Kennedy paid through George Johnston on 23 June £104.8.3 as part of what he owed in back rents for the land that he leased in Frederick County (Ledger B description begins Manuscript Ledger Book 2, 1772-93, in George Washington Papers, Library of Congress. description ends , 22; Cash Accounts, June 1773). See also GW to Samuel Washington, 6 Dec. 1771, n.5.
5. Thomas Logan of Alexandria gave GW £29.7.6 on 28 April in partial payment of the £52.15.8 that he owed for flour, and on 10 July he settled the account (Ledger B description begins Manuscript Ledger Book 2, 1772-93, in George Washington Papers, Library of Congress. description ends , 57). See also Cash Accounts, April 1773.
6. On 29 June 1773 GW paid James Wren £39.19.2, the balance he owed on the purchase of 118¾ acres from Valinda Wade in 1770 before her marriage to Wren (Ledger A description begins Manuscript Ledger Book 1, 1750-72, in George Washington Papers, Library of Congress. description ends , 244; Ledger B description begins Manuscript Ledger Book 2, 1772-93, in George Washington Papers, Library of Congress. description ends , 20). See also George William Fairfax to GW, 12 Mar. 1770, n.1, Deed from Valinda Wade, 18 Dec. 1770, and note, and Cash Accounts, March 1771, n.13.