List of Slaves and Livestock at Claiborne’s
Claibornes Decr 23 1771
A list of Colo. George Washington’s Negroes, Cattle &c.
|No.||Sex||Years old||28 up fattening|
|16||Oxen||10 Breading Sows|
|25||Stears||4 & upwd||11 Spaid Do.||1 year old|
|21||Do||2 & 3||17 Barrows||1 Do Do|
|46||Cows||4 & upwd||12 Shoats|
|12||Cows||2 & 3||2 Bores1|
|136||Total2||3 plough Horses Viz. Dobing & Shirding which I brought down when I came to the place a Small Bay Horse which was at the place when I came to it now about 12 years old.3|
D, in Joseph Davenport’s hand, DLC:GW. The substantive differences between this list and Davenport’s list of 22 Nov. cited in note 1, Davenport to GW, 23 Dec., are noted.
1. In November, “5 old Breading Sows [and] 5 young Do Do” are listed in place of “10 Breeding Sows,” and a total is given of eighty hogs.
2. In the November list Davenport also lists two bulls, 5 years old and upwards, and six bulls, 1 year old, instead of “Males.”
3. Davenport gives the name of the bay horse as Shaver in November.
4. The ages of the old wethers are given in November as “3 & 4.”
5. In November Solomon is 38.
6. In November Davenport gives her name as “Molly.”
8. In November Kitt’s age is given at 32.
9. Cornelia was 4′2″ tall in November.
10. Molly’s height is given as 3′6″ in November.
11. Old Guy is called “Woodenleg Guy” in November.
12. Franky was 3 years old at her death.