To John Blair
To The President
Honble Sir,Mount-Vernon, the 20th February, 1758.
I set out for Williamsburgh the day after the date of my letter by Jenkins; but found I was unable to proceed, my fever and pain encreasing upon me to an high degree, and the Physicians assured me, that I might endanger my life in prosecuting the journey.1 In consequence of this advice, I returned back to this place again, and informed your Honor of the reason of my detention by the Post, whom I met with on the road, and who I have since understood, never lodged my letter in the Post-Office at Fredericksburgh;2 which is the cause of my writing this second one to the same purport. Whenever I shall be sufficiently able to attempt the journey again, I can not say: but shall delay no time after I am in a condition to perform it. I am your Honor’s &c.
1. GW wrote John Blair from Fredericksburg on 31 Jan. saying that he would await Blair’s instructions before proceeding to Williamsburg. Blair did not respond until 5 Feb. when he wrote agreeing that GW should come down. No letter from GW to Blair after 31 Jan. has been found, and it may be that GW started out on 1 Feb. without waiting for Blair’s response. In any case, he was back at Mount Vernon by 13 February. See also GW to Blair, 30 Jan. 1758.
2. This letter to Blair has not been found.