To Thomas Knox
Mount Vernon, 30th Decr 1757
Since writing the forgoing Letter1 I find myself in want of the following Articles, besides those containd therein please to send the whole to me therefore by the first Vessel to Potomack or Rappahannock.2
- 100 Wt of dble and 150 of Single refind Sugar.
- 1 Cask bottled Beer.
- 1 ps. Irish Linnen @ 4/
- 1 ps. Ditto @ 1/3
- 1 ps.3 Ditto @ 1/.
- ½ ps. finest Cambrick, ½ ps. Ditto of midling Do
- 1 Gross Shirt buttons—thrd to suit the above Linn & Cambrick
- 2 pr fine workd Ruffles @ 21/ each pair
- 2 Setts compleat Shoe Brushes
- ½ dozn pair thrd hose at 5/
- 40 Shillings worth of Spices sorted.
- 10 lb. Coffee—20 lb. Chocolate
- 6 lb. best Hyson Tea—6 lb. best Green Ditto.
- 50 Wt dble Gloster Cheese—12 lb. Durham Mustard
- 50 lb. Soap
- 6 Grind Stones
- 1 Compleat Saddle, bridle, &ca for furniture4
- 1 Sett Holster Caps & Housing of fine blew Cloth with a small edging of Silver Embroidery round them. Yr Most Obedt
LB, DLC:GW. The letter-book copy is in GW’s later hand.
3. GW wrote “pr.”
4. Furniture is used here in the sense of trappings for a horse.