8. Breakfasted at Charles Town & Dined & lodged at Wilmington.
Charlestown, a flourishing port on the Northeast River, was the county seat of Cecil County, Md., until 1786, when the courthouse was moved to Elkton (Head of Elk).
The road followed by GW from Charlestown to Wilmington led him through Christiana Bridge, or Christiana (LEDGER B description begins Manuscript Ledger Book 2, 1772-93, in George Washington Papers, Library of Congress. description ends , 193). Another traveler who passed this way in the same year described the village as lying “in a Bottom at the head of Christeen creek over which there is a Bridge here & to which the Tide flows, bringing up sloops & such like vessels” (HONYMAN description begins Philip Padelford, ed. Colonial Panorama 1775: Dr. Robert Honyman’s Journal for March and April. San Marino, Calif., 1939. description ends , 11). On later trips, GW alternated between this route and the road closer to the coast which led through New Castle and the Christina (Christiana) ferry.