George Washington Papers

[Diary entry: 5 August 1770]

5. Went to Church (in Fredg.) and dind with Colo. Lewis.

St. George’s Church, built in 1732, had as its minister at this time James Marye, Jr. (1731–1780), who had succeeded his father as parish rector in 1767 (meade [1] description begins [William] Meade. Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia. 2 vols. Philadelphia, 1857. description ends , 68–69).

Index Entries