To William Jones
[3 June 1814]
J. Madison requests a consultation with the Heads of Dept. on Tuesday next at 11 OC.
June 3: 1814
The object is to decide on the plan of campaign which our means naval & military render most eligible.
Meantime the Secretary of the Navy, will cause to be made out, & send over.
- 1. a Statement of the naval force on the Lakes Erie, ontario, & Champlain, respectively, now ready for service; & the portion of that on L. Erie, destined for L. Huron
- 2. State & prospects of additional naval force, in preparation for Lakes ontario & Champlain respectively.
- 3. State & Stations of vessels of war (including the Steam vessel), Gunboats & barges, for the defence of the Atlantic frontier.
- 4. Naval force of the Enemy (including marines) according to best information in the navy Dept; near & in the Atlantic waters of the U.S.
- 5. do. understood to be destined for our Coast
RC (PHi: William Jones Papers); draft (DLC); Tr (DLC, series 3). RC docketed by Jones. Minor differences between the copies have not been noted.