on or before 25 May 1807
Proposals &c. for a light house on St. Simon’s island in Georgia.
The light house was authorized in 1804: the ground procured & a cession obtained same year; notification issued, in 1805; and proposals received in March 1806: but the lowest, vizt. Gould’s at 12,000 dollars exceeding the appropriation, nothing could be done. Congress have made last session a sufficient appropriation; and it is now proposed, if the President approves to accept Gould’s proposals. The durability of tabby has been ascertained. The blocks of the old fort & houses built at Frederica by Lt. Oglethorpe being in a perfect state of preservation, and as hard as stone or Roman mortar—
DLC: Papers of Thomas Jefferson.