To John H. Cocke
Monticello July 19. 17.
The promptitude of subscriptions, far beyond my expectations calls for a prompt decision on some matters which I had supposed might have been in time at our fall meeting. I propose to go to mr Madison’s to consult with him between the middle & last of the ensuing week, and I should be very happy if you could come, go with me to the College ground to see what is done & doing and then to mr Madison’s to assist in our consultations. any day that suits you to come from Wednesday to Saturday inclusive, I will be ready to attend you. our squares are laid off, the brickyard begun, and the levilling will be begun in the course of the week. Your’s with friendship & respect
RC (ViU: TJP); addressed: “General Cocke Bremo Fluvanna”; endorsed by Cocke. PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
- Central College, Board of Visitors; meetings of search
- Central College; construction of search
- Central College; siting of search
- Central College; subscription for search
- Cocke, John Hartwell; letters to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Travels; to Montpellier (Madison family estate) search
- Montpellier (Montpelier; J. Madison’s Orange Co. estate); TJ visits search
- Montpellier (Montpelier; J. Madison’s Orange Co. estate); visitors to search