To Robert Simington
Monticello. June 14. 17.
Th: Jefferson presents his compliments to Capt Simington and his thanks for the two books he has been so kind as to send him through mr Dinsmore, which he has safely recieved. they are rare, and of merit in themselves; and derive additional value as evidences of good will on the part of Capt Simington, of which Th:J. is duly sensible. he salutes him with the same sentiments of good will and respect.
PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover of Hutchins G. Burton to TJ, 2 Apr. 1817; dateline at foot of text; endorsed by TJ as a letter to “Simington Robert” and so recorded in SJL.
Robert Simington (ca. 1770–1826), sea captain, was a grocer and commission merchant in Norfolk in 1806. His schooner, the Rising States, was captured in 1812 by a British brig (The Norfolk Directory [Norfolk, 1806], 29; DNA: RG 29, CS, Norfolk, 1810; Baltimore Federal Republican, 28 Nov. 1810, 18 July 1811; Alexandria Daily Gazette, Commercial & Political, 16 Sept. 1812; Norfolk American Beacon and Commercial Diary, 12 Oct. 1816, 24 Feb. 1817, 20 May 1818; American Commercial Beacon and Norfolk & Portsmouth Daily Advertiser, 13 Sept. 1819, 20 Mar., 26 June 1820, 30 Dec. 1826; Norfolk and Portsmouth Herald, 1 Jan. 1827).
- A Chronicle of the Kings of England (R. Baker) search
- Baker, Sir Richard; A Chronicle of the Kings of England search
- books; on history search
- Dinsmore, James; transmits goods to TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; receives works search
- Maimbourg, Louis; The History of the Crusade; or, the Expeditions of the Christian Princes for the Conquest of the Holy Land (trans. J. Nalson) search
- Nalson, John; translatesThe History of the Crusade; or, the Expeditions of the Christian Princes for the Conquest of the Holy Land (L. Maimbourg) search
- Simington, Robert; identified search
- Simington, Robert; letter to search
- Simington, Robert; sends books to TJ search
- The History of the Crusade; or, the Expeditions of the Christian Princes for the Conquest of the Holy Land (L. Maimbourg; trans. J. Nalson) search