To John Barnes
Monticello Dec. 31. 16.
Your favor of the 23d came to hand last night, and I now inclose you two powers of Attorney, one to be used at each place, and copied verbatim from the form in your letter. I have not attested it before a magistrate, because it would cost me a ride of many miles to find one, which I am not able to take, but it is impossible that this can be requisite for a power of attorney to transfer a mere personal property. my hand fails me so much in writing that I can only add my affectionate and friendly salutations.
P.S. will you be so good as to jog mr Millegan’s memory?
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover of John D. Vaughan to TJ, 30 Nov. 1816; postscript adjacent to signature; at foot of text: “Mr Barnes”; endorsed by TJ.
- A Treatise on Political Economy (Destutt de Tracy) search
- Bank of Columbia search
- banks; in Georgetown, D.C. search
- banks; stock issued by search
- Barnes, John; and Destutt de Tracy’sTreatise on Political Economy search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; letters to search
- Barnes, John; TJ’s power of attorney to search
- Destutt de Tracy, Antoine Louis Claude; A Treatise on Political Economy search
- Georgetown, D.C.; banks in search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Correspondence; fatiguing to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Power of Attorney to John Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; and investment in U.S. government loan search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Columbia stock of search
- Milligan, Joseph; and Destutt de Tracy’sTreatise on Political Economy search
- political economy; works on search
- Treasury Department, U.S.; and government stock search
- United States; and government stock search