To Nathaniel T. Eldredge
Monticello near Milton Dec. 23. 16.
I have to ask your permission to become a subscriber to your ‘New York public sale report’ and inclose you a five dollar bill for the first year in advance. it is of the bank of Virginia which I understand is negociable with you at par. be pleased to direct the papers to me ‘at Monticello near Milton.’ and to accept the assurances of my respect.
PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; at foot of text: “Mr T. Eldredge”; endorsed by TJ, with his additional notation: “Newspapers. New York Sale report.”
Nathaniel T. Eldredge (1793–1856), newspaper publisher and business agent, was a native of Connecticut who moved to New York City as a young man. He edited and printed the New York Daily Express in 1813, the New-York Public Sale Report, 1814–17, the New York Times and Commercial Intelligencer, 1838–40, and the New York Times and Evening Star, 1840–41. Eldredge also worked at various times as an auctioneer; a notary public; and a real-estate, legal, and commercial agent. He died in Eastchester, New York (Brigham, American Newspapers description begins Clarence S. Brigham, History and Bibliography of American Newspapers, 1690–1820, 1947, 2 vols. description ends , 1:624–5, 683; Longworth’s New York Directory description begins Longworth’s American Almanac, New-York Register, and City Directory, New York, 1796–1842 (title varies; cited by year of publication) description ends : 191; : 237; : 227; Louis H. Fox, “New York City Newspapers, 1820–1850: A Bibliography,” Papers of The Bibliographical Society of America 21 : 106; New-Yorker, 8 Feb., 16 May 1840; Doggett’s New-York City Directory [1846/47]: 129; [1849/50]: 144; DNA: RG 29, CS, N.Y., New York, 1850; New York Evening Post, 21 July 1856).
TJ subscribed to the new york public sale report for two years (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1329, 1349).
- Bank of Virginia (Richmond); banknotes of search
- banks; currency issued by search
- currency; paper search
- Eldredge, Nathaniel T.; andNew-York Public Sale Report search
- Eldredge, Nathaniel T.; identified search
- Eldredge, Nathaniel T.; letter to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; and newspaper subscriptions search
- newspapers; New-York Public Sale Report search
- newspapers; subscriptions to, by TJ search
- New York (city); newspapers search
- New-York Public Sale Report (newspaper) search
- subscriptions, for publications; newspapers search