Power of Attorney to John Barnes for Bank of Columbia Dividends
Know all men by these presents that I Thomas Jefferson of Monticello in Albemarle county of the state of Virginia, by virtue of the powers to me given by Thaddeus Kosciuzko late a General in the army of the United States, do hereby constitute and appoint1 John Barnes of Georgetown in the district of Columbia lawful attorney under my self of the sd Thaddeus, with full power to recieve for the sd Thaddeus, and in his name, all dividends of interest or profit due, or hereafter to become due on shares in the bank of Columbia, which are or may hereafter be holden or owned by the sd Thaddeus in the sd bank, and for the same to give discharges and acquittances, which shall be equally valid, and are hereby confirmed as if given by my self. Witness my hand and seal at Monticello aforesd this 15th day of December 1816.
|James L. Jefferson||his seal2|
MS (Catherine Barnes Autographs & Signed Books, Philadelphia, 1998); in TJ’s hand, signed by TJ and Jefferson. PoC (DLC: TJ Papers, 208:37187); on recto of reused address cover to TJ; mutilated at seal; with PoC of first power of attorney to Barnes of this date on other side of sheet.
1. PoC: “appoin.” RC corrected to “appoint,” probably by a later hand.
2. In MS these words are followed by wax from a seal.
- Bank of Columbia search
- banks; in Georgetown, D.C. search
- banks; stock issued by search
- Barnes, John; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Barnes, John; TJ’s power of attorney to search
- Georgetown, D.C.; banks in search
- Jefferson, James Lilburne (TJ’s nephew; Randolph Jefferson’s son); witnesses documents search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; and T. Kosciuszko’s American investments search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Writings; Power of Attorney to John Barnes search
- Kosciuszko, Tadeusz (Thaddeus) Andrzej Bonawentura; Bank of Columbia stock of search