To George Watterston
Monticello Jan. 3. 16.
My grandaughter Ellen Randolph has just set out for Richmond from whence she will go on to Washington in about ten days. she has in charge the two vols of Virginia laws which were not at home when the library went on, which she will have delivered to you. the only volume now remaining undelivered is the MS. one of laws in the hands of mr Hening as formerly stated. as soon as he has extracted from it what is necessary for his publication, he will send it on to you.—I remain in the hope of receiving from you a copy of my catalogue when printed, being very necessary in enabling me to replace many of the same editions of books. Accept the assurance of my esteem and respect.
RC (ICN: Thomas Jefferson Letters); addressed: “Mr George Watterston librarian to Congress Washington”; franked; postmarked Milton, 10 Jan. PoC (DLC); on verso of reused address cover to TJ; endorsed by TJ.
TJ’s grandaughter Ellen W. Randolph (Coolidge) took an extended trip to Richmond, Washington, Philadelphia, and Baltimore, returning to Monticello about the end of May 1816 (Ellen W. Randolph [Coolidge] to Martha Jefferson Randolph, letters between 5 Jan. and 12 May 1816 [ViU: Coolidge Correspondence]).
- books; of state papers and public documents search
- Catalogue of the Library of the United States (G. Watterston) search
- Coolidge, Ellen Wayles Randolph (TJ’s granddaughter); delivers books and manuscripts search
- Coolidge, Ellen Wayles Randolph (TJ’s granddaughter); travels of search
- Hening, William Waller; and TJ’s collection of Va. laws search
- Hening, William Waller; The Statutes at Large search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; catalogue of search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; loans books search
- Library of Congress; Catalogue of the Library of the United States. To Which is Annexed, A Copious Index, Alphabetically Arranged (G. Watterston) search
- Library of Congress; manuscripts of Va. laws sent to search
- The Statutes at Large (W. W. Hening); sources for search
- Virginia; TJ’s collection of laws of search
- Watterston, George; as librarian of Congress search
- Watterston, George; Catalogue of the Library of the United States search
- Watterston, George; letters to search