To Horatio G. Spafford
Monticello Dec. 22. 15.
Of the last 5. months I have past 4 at a possession 90. or 100 miles S.W. from hence. this must apologise for my answering and acting at this late date on your letters of Nov. 18. & 23. I have written by this mail to the President on the subject of your request, altho more as evidence of my wish to be useful to you than with the hope of it’s effect, as the occasion I fear has past away while your letters were unrecieved by me. pressed by the numerous letters accumulated during my absence I have time only to add my wishes for your success and assurances of my esteem and respect.
RC (NjMoHP: Lloyd W. Smith Collection); addressed: “Horatio G. Spafford esq. Albany”; franked; postmarked Charlottesville, 27 Dec.; endorsed by Spafford as received 4 Jan. and answered 9 Jan. 1816. PoC (MHi); on verso of reused address cover of Nicolas G. Dufief to TJ, 29 Sept. 1815; endorsed by TJ.
- Madison, James (1751–1836); and appointments search
- Madison, James (1751–1836); and H. G. Spafford search
- Poplar Forest (TJ’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ returns from search
- Spafford, Horatio Gates; and J. Madison search
- Spafford, Horatio Gates; letters to search
- Spafford, Horatio Gates; seeks appointment search