From George Watterston
City of Washington Decr 7th 1815.
I have requested Mr Millegan to bind one of the printed catalogues in calf & transmit it to you—There are some errors in it which could not be avoided. I trust, however, you will, on the whole, be pleased with its execution—The alphabetical arrangement under each chapter is not so correct as I wished it, but it could not without great trouble, be improved; as it would have required a new copy of your M.S. The numbers you suggested, as necessary to the completion of the Index, were unavoidably omitted as they would have had a tendency to swell it to too great a size & as that necessity is in some degree obviated, by the alphabetical order of the chapters—I find, on reexamining the book, that there are two works which have not been received viz—“Rays American Tars in Tripoli & Morris’ Accounts”—These are the only defeciencies I know of, except the M,S Laws of Virginia of which you have already apprised me.
RC (DLC); adjacent to closing: “Thos Jefferson Esqe”; endorsed by TJ as received 21 Jan. 1816 and so recorded in SJL; with notation by TJ beneath signature: “Morris. C. 24. 439. Ray’s Tripoli. C. 2. 82. marked.”
At some time between this date and that of TJ’s letter to Watterston of 2 Mar. 1816, Joseph Milligan (millegan) sent TJ three copies of the published version of TJ’s catalogue of the library he sold to Congress, Catalogue of U.S. Library description begins Catalogue of the Library of the United States. To which is annexed, A Copious Index, alphabetically arranged, Washington, 1815 description ends .Robert Morris’s accounts were published in A Statement of the Accounts of the United States of America, during the Administration of the Superintendant of Finance (Philadelphia, 1785; Sowerby, description begins E. Millicent Sowerby, comp., Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson, 1952–59, 5 vols. description ends no. 3165).
- A Statement of the Accounts of the United States (R. Morris) search
- books; of state papers and public documents search
- Catalogue of the Library of the United States (G. Watterston) search
- Hening, William Waller; and TJ’s collection of Va. laws search
- Hening, William Waller; The Statutes at Large search
- Horrors of Slavery: or, The American Tars in Tripoli (W. Ray) search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; catalogue of search
- Library of Congress; Catalogue of the Library of the United States. To Which is Annexed, A Copious Index, Alphabetically Arranged (G. Watterston) search
- Milligan, Joseph; and catalogue of TJ’s books search
- Morris, Robert (1735–1806); A Statement of the Accounts of the United States search
- Ray, William; Horrors of Slavery: or, The American Tars in Tripoli search
- The Statutes at Large (W. W. Hening); sources for search
- Virginia; TJ’s collection of laws of search
- Watterston, George; Catalogue of the Library of the United States search
- Watterston, George; letters from search