To Christopher Clark
Poplar Forest Nov. 2. 15
I arrived here two days ago, and have brought with me instruments for our project at the peaks. as I presume you would like to see something of the proceedings, you must be so good as to say when your business will permit you to be at home for three or four days; for I think it will take that time. to me, after tomorrow, all days will be equal; and the sooner the better while we have such fair and moderate weather. your earliest convenience therefore will suit me best, and you will be good enough to make it known to me by the bearer. I think I shall be obliged again to clamber to the top of the sharp peak. present me respectfully to mrs Clarke and accept the assurance of my great esteem and respect.
PoC (MHi); at foot of text: “Christopher Clarke esq.”; with PoC of TJ to Martha Jefferson Randolph, 4 Nov. 1815, on verso.
- altitude; calculations for Peaks of Otter search
- Clark, Christopher Henderson; and height of Peaks of Otter search
- Clark, Christopher Henderson; letters to search
- Clark, Mary Norvell (Christopher Henderson Clark’s second wife); TJ sends greetings to search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Travels; to Peaks of Otter search
- Peaks of Otter, Va.; altitude of search
- Peaks of Otter, Va.; TJ visits search
- Virginia; weather in search
- weather; in Va. search