From Christopher Clark
mount Prospect 17 sep 15
your favor of the 14 (instant) was delivered to me as I [was]1 walking near the gate and could not prevail on the bearer to wait for an answer and observe now what I then intended to state to you that the satisfaction to us from your Visit will be encreased by the pleasure of Seeing your two friends mr Correa and Gilmer (the latter I think I have seen) they may as well as yourself be assured that nothing will be lacking on our part to make there time as agreeable as possable
RC (MHi); endorsed by TJ as received 17 Sept. 1815 and so recorded in SJL.
TJ, José Corrêa da Serra, and Francis W. Gilmer stayed with Clark at his mount prospect estate while exploring the Peaks of Otter, arriving this day and departing 19 Sept. 1815 (MB description begins James A. Bear Jr. and Lucia C. Stanton, eds., Jefferson’s Memorandum Books: Accounts, with Legal Records and Miscellany, 1767–1826, 1997, The Papers of Thomas Jefferson, Second Series description ends , 2:1313–4).
1. Omitted word editorially supplied.
- Clark, Christopher Henderson; letters from search
- Clark, Christopher Henderson; TJ visits search
- Clark, Christopher Henderson; visitors to search
- Corrêa da Serra, José; travels with TJ search
- Gilmer, Francis Walker; travels with TJ search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Travels; to Peaks of Otter search
- Mount Prospect (Christopher Henderson Clark’s Bedford Co. estate); TJ visits search
- Peaks of Otter, Va.; TJ visits search