From Stephen Girard
Philad: 30th July 1815.
On the 23d instant I had the honour to receive your Letter of the 10th Same month, which Shall be attended to, by remitting to Mr John Vaughan a Letter of Credit on Messrs Perregaux Laffitte & Co of Paris for Three Hundred and Fifty Dollars in favour of Mr George Ticknor of Boston, and one for Two Hundred Dollars, in favour of Stephen Cathalan of Marseilles. If an additional Sum is wanted to compleat the purchase of the Books, it will be advanced to Mr Ticknor
Mr John Vaughan has paid me Five Hundred and Fifty Dollars1 placed to your Credit.
RC (NNPM); dateline beneath signature; at foot of text: “Ths Jefferson Esqre”; endorsed by TJ as received 9 Aug. 1815 and so recorded in SJL. RC (ICHi); address cover only; with PoC of TJ to Patrick Gibson, 19 Aug. 1815, on verso; addressed (trimmed) to “Thomas Jeff[erson] Mont[icello]”; postmarked Philadelphia, 1 Aug. FC (Lb in PPGi: Girard Papers [microfilm at PPAmP]).
1. FC here adds “to be.”
- Cathalan, Stephen (Étienne) (1757–1819); and wine for TJ search
- Girard, Stephen; and TJ’s lines of credit search
- Girard, Stephen; letter from search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Books & Library; orders books search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; lines of credit in Europe search
- Jefferson, Thomas; Business & Financial Affairs; orders wine from S. Cathalan search
- Perregaux, Laffitte & Compagnie (Paris firm); and TJ’s lines of credit in France search
- Ticknor, George; and books for TJ search
- Vaughan, John; and TJ’s lines of credit in Europe search
- wine; TJ orders from S. Cathalan search